Sunday, May 10, 2009

Times they are a changin'

Major changes have recently occured in my life, both personally and professionally. We're approaching five years since the inception of this blog, and going back to read the posts from May '04 is quite the experience. I suppose its what diaries and journals are for, the chance to go back and read out your thoughts and ideas from another time. Kind of like mental time travel.

One thing is for sure, I am not who I was then. In fact, I am not who I was last year or the year before that. I may have some (we shed and create a lot of cells frequently) of the bodily composition of that person but we are definitely on different wavelengths.

This whole blogging business started off as a documentation of odd and quirky ideas I might have. I had a lot of time on my hands back then, hence the frequency of the posts. With time, the posts have decreased in number but have also slightly sharpened in focus. They may still be random and don't generally adhere to one unified theme, but this thing was meant to be disjointed and arbitrary anyway.

I know blogging has pretty much gone out of style these days, but I never meant for this to be stylish. The more I read my old posts, the more I believe that continuing to write here if only to be able to re-read it later is worthwhile. These next few lines (in no particular order) are for future perusing:

- United are in the Champions league final against Barcelona for a shot at retaining the cup. I believe we are going to win. Did we? I hope it was a good game.

- You've just moved out of home and are currently adjusting to having your own family. Its terrifying and exciting all at once. Having more or less settled now, you have found that through all of this you've discovered that you have an affinity for furniture shopping. Who would've thunk it.

- You're starting studying for your MRCS part B soon. The plan is to pass it first time. I hope that reading this in the future, you remember how it felt to be looking ahead to that. I also hope that you passed.

- You have accumulated a bit of debt, but are confident of repaying it all very soon. I hope that when you re-read this, it will have been replaced by a good amount of savings.

- You are still basking in the glory of having had the best wedding of all time.

- One and a half years in your current job and counting. Still on track with the initial estimate of two to three years in Bahrain followed by training abroad. So, how did that work out then?

- 1st on call, sleepless nights at the hospital working a 1 in 4 rota. Not so bad, considering what you've been through. I hope that when you read this you have had a hell of a lot more experience in operating and are no longer at junior level.

A few more personal things I could've documented here, but I'd rather leave them out of the public arena. Have to run now, but I hope that list makes for interesting reading at some point down the line.

20 Comments:

At 9:43 PM , Blogger Mo said...

Smiling too hard to think of a comment to put up - happy that we're now who we are. Well done sweetheart, you've come a long way from your smelly med student days xxx

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Seroo said...

Eek! That looks like you've sent a self obsessed message to yourself!

You should have written about getting used to sharing your posessions with a girl :)

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Mo said...

Another aspect of living in the same house with someone is the fact that you may occasionally accidentally leave your blogger account logged on =)

 
At 11:57 PM , Blogger Smoothoperator said...

Awesome blog keep the great posts coming and please feel free to visit my blog at

http://mellowzone.blogspot.com

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

funny message to yourself gg!



-------
thanks to Quick Pick Locksmith I can enter my house again :)

 
At 10:45 PM , Blogger megan said...

I'm just so happy for you and Mo. It makes me cry a little.

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger CEK said...

These companyies trying to peer into private data for "personalized advertising" is unethical. Advertising should be just as much a gamble as say insurance is for the consumers, we never get no damn inside infomation.

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Jim McKee said...

Coincidentally, I am not who I am now.

;-]

 
At 6:02 AM , Blogger UnownReporter said...

Hey everyone who visits this "ran-dom blog" such is Mo, seroo, and danny, if u like this blog you are sure to love my random blog
(random-iziah.blogspot.com)

enjoy.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger ^_^ said...

Has your blog ever caused you any problems at work? I've been wondering if I should keep a blog like yours...

 
At 12:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog! It's awesome.

 
At 7:29 PM , Blogger www.yahoo.com said...

Nice blog!

Two Voices Blog Crazy

 
At 3:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good song <3

 
At 7:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats "Random Blog" you have been chosen as my next victim...for those who don't know who I am, I am Anonymous the great and powerful who successfully took down the Daily Skew blogs and R.A.W.'s blog, also through the dailyskew domain.

Mwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger CommanderCash said...

hahahaha...i feel u man.... but you get used to it. lol

come to my blog...cool new stuff everyday. http://browncowboy.blogspot.com

 
At 1:00 AM , Blogger Jonathan Robinson said...

very well writtin. i love your blog, and cant wait for more....


check out

www.cscblue94.blogspot.com

 
At 5:56 PM , Blogger dms said...

so you are leaving and i am starting.
good luck to both of us.
http://eyetumbler.blogspot.com/

 
At 3:47 AM , Blogger ikasdosh said...

Another aspect of living in the same house with someone is the fact that you may occasionally call San Diego garage door

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger !Teq-uila Del Zapata said...

donno, if u man supporter or barca, not clear as for now.
you seems to be more or less at same professional experience level as most of my doctor friends are and yes some of them r getting married as well.
even i have stopped blogging so much. I don't feel like blogging the same stuff, I was so excited about, i have at least 20 blogs pending, but can't finish them.

 
At 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is awesome! made my day! there is a poster similar to this at http://thehatlist.wordpress.com/ if you want to check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home