Thursday, December 02, 2004

Duleek

..is the name of an Irish village. As part of my general practice rotation (and as seems to be the case this year), I'm being shipped out to a remote part of the country to "pursue my education". Why do I have to pursue the damn thing? Don't my parents pay enough in tuition fees for the damn practice to come to MY house.. doctor, staff and patients?!

The Irish public transport system has demonstrated to me this morning how weak it really is. The buses run late, the train timings are erratic and totally haphazard, and connections can never be made. I was supposed to get my ass up to a town called Drogheda (droh-eda) and then get a connecting bus to Duleek. The mental stress involved in getting to where I wanted to go was ridiculous. Suffice to say, I made it to the practice quite late and got in what remained of the morning session.

And then there was the break. I'm usually a huge fan of lengthy, two hour breaks.. but not when I'm stuck in a place like Duleek. I decided to take a walk and explore the village, and was back in the Doctor's office roughly 10 minutes later. It took me 10 minutes to walk through the main street, the place where everything happens. It had one shop, two takeaways and a church.

Ended up playing solitaire on the doctor's computer until he showed up for the afternoon session and gave me a disapproving look.

7 Comments:

At 12:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Growing up there ! :P

 
At 8:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buddy,
Count yourself lucky, you could have ended in some shit hole in Limerick! I grew up there and it has more to offer than your lazy stroll a couple of yards!!
Been a little pampered in your life Doc!!
Get over it and welcome to the real world.

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger Mo said...

haha! Limerick is quite nasty, I must agree.

No, I'll be the first to admit that I've grown up quite lucky to be as comfortable as I was.

I guess that's why I'm too much of a sissy to be able to handle Duleek.

 
At 11:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone who works in the media, is educated to MSc level, and who escaped Dublin for Duleek, I can see where you're coming from.

However, Duleek is a complete microcosm of Ireland...cryptic, clannish, full of history and the type of place that doesn't easily welcome the partisan.

 
At 5:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

u missed the 8 shops and one pub at the other end of the village and all of village from one end to another is called main st!!! for someone so highly educated if u followed the road u mite of found something more of interest to stimulate ur oh so big brain!!!

 
At 3:23 PM , Blogger truckerman said...

great place to live great pubs so much to do cant say enough about the place

 
At 9:07 PM , Blogger Lady Portia said...

I grew up just outside Duleek, went to school there,gathered sticks every day for the fire in school- so that tells you how long ago it was.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home