Friday, May 20, 2005

Spooky

Today I decided to go all high tech. I went to this website called statcounter.com and I opted to add a little counter onto my blog (all part of my one year anniversary present to my dear, dear blog). Now, this counter is pretty nifty.. sure, it gives me a little number telling me how many people have accessed my blog.. but I was surprised to learn that it does other things as well.

You see, statcounter.com offer you a free "package" that you can use on as many websites as you want. Obviously there are certain limitations which do not make it viable for large commercial websites, but for my individual purposes it does just fine. The "package" contains not only the code for the counter, but a staggering array of tools. Now, you might think me a tad slow for not copping on to this facility beforehand.. but I've resigned my seat on the board of the cutting edge of technology a long time ago. Long gone are the days where I was among the more knowledgeable in terms of computers and stuff, but I guess that's part of growing older and doing other things. I'm still quite handy, though.

Anyway, enough lamenting my loss of competence and let's get back to "the package". It pretty much includes tools that allow me to track every visitor to my website, down to their country of origin. It shows me when you've entered, where you've gone, what you've been looking at and when you've left. Now if I can do this, imagine what other, much larger websites can do. I no longer see myself as a lone surfer on the information superhighway (remember that term? those were the days I used to be cutting edge.. ahh, what days). I'm actually being watched, people know what I'm up to and they know where I am. I almost feel violated.

So, dear reader.. now that I've got these tools at my disposal (and many frequent flyer miles to be redeemed), next time you leave a comment I might disagree with I might just travel across the world to come see you. Don't worry, I'll be civil. I'll even buy you dinner.. that's been laced with rat poison.

11 Comments:

At 5:39 AM , Blogger Omar AlShehabi said...

remember back in the day when you made fun of me for not knowing how to change the volume setting?

Well, times have changed! Statcounter is as old news and basic as they come! How does it feel to be taken over by the most computer inept and illiterate person you know?

 
At 10:09 PM , Blogger Mo said...

thank you for rubbing salt into my overexposed, raw wounds.

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger Bahraini Rants said...

Mo,

Email me at bahrainirants@gmail.com to get you started on Qadam...

you deserved to win yesterday, but you didn't, this is football.. As an Arsenal fan - I am not jumping for joy about the victory, I'm more thrilled about the lads sticking with their guns, and keeping the game alive till the very end... I don't know why Fergie didn't sub in Howard, a much better shot stopper in my opinion than Royroy...

Anyways, get in touch for Qadam..

 
At 1:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You could always try
http://extremetracking.com/
it give you way more features :) have fun

 
At 2:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

u've never gotten over the urge of wanting to kill someone i see... but lets just see if you can "track" me..

(a friend who just set up her blog told me of other interesting ones, and urs was one... )

i'm still adamant you can't get to me... changed location from 7 years ago when the topic first came up... but!

anyway... let me know what you find out if ur bothered enough, i'd like to know anyway!

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger Mo said...

Your initials are LT.
You study in Bristol University.
You recieved the link to my blog in your lycos webmail inbox and clicked the link from there.
You were on campus while you did all of this.

And yes, seven years later and I'm still fixated on homicide.

 
At 2:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you can't figure out where i was

muahahahahahahahahah

i'm behind a firewall... i think...

3abood laswad

 
At 5:42 PM , Blogger Mo said...

Citigroup Global Information Network.. and as Frankie once sang: New York, New York.

Good to see you're a hard worker, 3abood. Now go back to looking at market analysis reports, you slacker.

 
At 11:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your welcome :S
(sensative)

 
At 1:42 AM , Blogger Mo said...

Wardat il '7aleej,

where are my manners, thank you for your suggestion.

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your forgiven since you have to deal with noisy neighbors and might have forgotten, good luck with the exams

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home