Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Number 3: Avaritia

Just thought I'd contribute to the cause. I've never liked the Bahrain Telecommunications Company. It has monopolized the entire communications sector since the start of its existence and caused me endless grief during my teenage years. Huge internet dialup bills made sure that my parents and I were at loggerheads for the majority of my adolescence.. although I now understand that it was Batelco's fault for charging so much while giving so damn little in return. Remember all the stolen passwords, kids? That was wrong.. but what could we do? The internet was a big new world back then, and all we wanted was to be connected.

Broadband in Bahrain is still slower than advertised, and more expensive than in other countries. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with Batelco for a good few years now, but I'm told that the service is snail-paced and unreliable. Eircom held a monopoly over the Irish communications sector for a very long time, but it had to fix up and look sharp recently with all the added competition. Cheaper prices (still not the cheapest) and faster connections.. working harder to value its customers because they can so easily move on to another service provider. That's still not the case in Bahrain, but I don't think it'll stay so for long.

Get with the program, Batelco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home