Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sticks and Stones

Last day of my first job tommorow. Starting monday I'm the intern with the orthopedic (bone) surgeons.. fondly reffered to as "the orthopods".

Its been a good three months. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to sacrifice quite a lot of my personal time due to my work hours. I enjoy the job, don't feel like I can't stand the hospital while I'm here, which is good because I'm usually here 80-100 hours per week.

Ramadan's begun, I'm told. Doesn't really feel like it, almost an afterthought in my mind. I'm realistic enough to know that fasting would reduce the quality of my work, and hence potentially (and I use that term quite generously) result in an increase in morbidity levels when it comes to my patients. A mentally switched-off doctor usually makes for a bad one.

Other than work, things have been coming along well. The new call schedules are out and I managed some elbow room for a visit back home. The flipside is that I am now working on the 23rd, 25th and 28th of December. On-call. Still, looking forward to going back and seeing the family and all. Its been a while, and things have just been crazy. It'll feel good going back to something I know so well.

I need to organize for a cleaning lady/person to come to my apartment on a regular basis. Two-weekly perhaps? Its starting to accumulate dirt and we just don't have time to clean. All I'm interested in doing when i get home is grabbing an ice-cold brew and relaxing in front of the television. If one comes home at 7 or 8 and has to be in bed by 11 for the next morning, one has got a very limited window of opportunity to release the tension and have some leisure time. That opportunity has to be grabbed (gribben? incorrect, yet so tempting) with both hands and I sure as hell won't let a bit of vaccuming get in the way.

I would look forward to this weekend but I'm on this Saturday. Saturday call is the worst, it just splits your weekend and you end up working two straight weeks with no break. Ahh well, I'm past the point of caring.. some things you just have to put up with. That's why I got some new PSP games to keep me company during the slow hours.

Alright, time to get back to work. Patients can only be left to their own devices for so long, and then the nurses start to get antsy and pull the trigger on that pager of yours. That beeping noise sends a shiver through the spine. I think it has caused permanent pyschological damage at this point. Give it a few more months and my pager will become an extension of me.. just like my pinkie, for example.

3 Comments:

At 4:20 PM , Blogger Seroo said...

I would've gribben your pager & fed it to the nurses =)

 
At 8:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would've gribben your gluteous maximus =)

-3abood

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger Seroo said...

gribbing is fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home