Monday, July 25, 2005

Reflection

Since I'm leaving Bahrain in a few short days to start an elective at a hospital in London, I thought I'd write a post about 10 things I've learned, achieved and experienced over the last few weeks:

1. Bahrain to Dublin, direct, three times a week starting December 2nd.. the best bit of news I've ever heard from Gulf Air.
2. Golf can be a very entertaining game if you persist with it (and manage to bag a free membership to the club for a week).
3. The heat.. the godawful heat. Not to mention the sporadic waves of uber-humidity.
4. Meeting new people who you expect to figure prominently in your life from now on can be quite a gratifying and enjoyable experience. Its been a pleasure, gentlemen.
5. You can get very fat, very fast in this country if you don't stick to your gym plans. So much for all the weight I managed to lose during exam time.
6. I've become more emotionally volatile when it comes to things I'm passionate about. In an effort to maintain a more characteristic cool, I will now try to take criticism more calmly.
7. Bahrain is growing at an unbelievable rate. A few months abroad and you're dumbstruck at the amount of roads and buildings constructed in the short span of time you were away.
8. It takes me approximately 5 weeks of doing absolutely nothing to recharge my batteries. All the physical and mental effects of a gruelling cross country commute-filled academic year have slowly been washed away.
9. I've realized that within less than a year I will be entrusted with the lives of people, and that no matter how worried that makes me feel I'm reassured by the fact that internally I have the confidence to cope with whatever fate throws my way.
10. I never knew one person could make me so happy. I never thought I'd be so head over heels. I love you sweetness.

See you in five months, Bahrain. Don't go changing too much on me now.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 AM , Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl said...

You are right... Bahrain is growing at an alarming rate except that it takes forever to get things approved.

Plans for the Seef flyover, for instance, were on the drawing board for dogs years and it still took them more than three years to get it in place.

In that time, they completed building the BIC and held TWO F1 races and the bloody flyover wasnt ready yet!

Changes will hopefully be minor in five months.

Enjoy your trip ;)

 
At 7:45 AM , Blogger Mother Courage said...

believe it or not i find bahrain to be a very relaxing and peaceful country specially on winter

glad u enjoyed ur vacation . and good luck with ur placement course

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home