Tuesday, September 06, 2005

One Last Time

Back in Dublin (not quite.. actually in Waterford for a month's rotation right now) for one last year as a student. The last time I ever come back from a "summer vacation" to resume studies at an academic institution. The last student card I ever get issued, as well as the last set of student discounts I'm ever going to recieve on all my purchases.

June 2006. The promised land for so many years now.. and its finally within sight. There was something so distant about my final year (or Final Med, as we affectionately refer to it). The fact that I was going to spend an age and a half in med school while all my high school friends went off to enjoy their brief spell as university students before starting to pull in the redback (bahraini dinars, of course), it was something that I used to get taunted about. Back in high school no one would even consider medicine because of the amount of time spent studying (5-6 years in the UK and Ireland, up to 8 years in the US) but I chose to take a step in that direction and try to survive through it.

My oh my has time flown by. I remember arriving here as a child, in both body and mind.. the shit that I've had to grow up through.. I mean, at 17 how much do you REALLY know about anything at all? After all is said and done, however, and looking at how everyone else's life has turned out.. I'm pretty glad I chose to stay a student for such a long period of time. I honestly needed it to mature enough, God knows it took me 4 years to just get my head on straight and focus on what I was here to do to begin with. Everyone who's back and working in Bahrain struggled to adapt.. at 20 and 21 you still want a few more years of the relatively worry-free life of a student. Your sole responsibility is towards your studies, you don't have to fret about real-world issues. Granted, I've been lucky enough to be blessed with parents who have given me all that they can, and have been so generous as to pay for all my expenses and my tuition.. and I hope to repay them by making them proud on my conferring date of June the 1st, 2006. This one's for you Mom and Dad, thanks for everything.

Its an unwritten rule here in RCSI that you're only allowed to drape your stethoscope around your neck when you make it to your final year.. its almost a rite of passage. As I type this I'm sitting here in Waterford with my stethoscope around my neck, freeing up one of my lab coat pockets for other items such as my phone and my wallet. It feels good.

8 Comments:

At 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mo... just don't get that stethoscope to get too far into your head that you forget that you actually are NOT God, but a good body mechanic! :)

(joking for God's sake.. can't a guy pull legs any more? :D - this is just in case I fall under your mercy one of these days after June 1st, 2006!!)

Congrats.. make us all proud.

 
At 2:50 PM , Blogger Silveroo The Sailor said...

It’s amazing that you’re a med student who doesn’t feel sorry for himself.

I admire that and wish you all the luck with what’s left of your study.

:D

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger Seroo said...

Here's to your final year as a med student - you've come a very long way and we're all oh so proud :)

 
At 7:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

7abibi,

I've got blue balls.
My girlfriend isn't helping me.
Is there anything I can take?

-3abood laswad

 
At 11:50 AM , Blogger Mo said...

35mg of Chickensoprazol..
Usually manufactured by the company Choke The™..

Take two of those per day, one nocte (just before you go to sleep) and one mane (just after you wake up) for two weeks..

Please don't call me for instructions if you don't know how to use it. Just read the enclosed leaflet.

Good luck, and shame on your girlfriend for doing this to you in the first place.

 
At 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I am pre-med as of now and was wondering what you think of your current school? I am from the US however I'm a little worried that my scores will not meet the high standards of the schools here. I read a few passages about your school and so I decided to check it out.

Is there any faults to it? What advice would you give?

Sorry to bury you with questions. I do appreciate your time.

Mike
Spaceape48@yahoo.com

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger Mo said...

Mike,

There're faults to every school. The teaching here is of an acceptable standard, and the facilities available to students are always improving. The school also has a good rep worldwide, and the USMLE scores every year are similar to those of students from American colleges.

The main thing you'd have to think about before applying here is the fact that you'd have to travel to and live in Ireland, which is quite different than the States. The fees are also quite high, but I'd say they're on par with a few of the top schools in the US. The experience you'll get from residing outside of mainland North America is also something that'll add to your character and personality in a very positive manner.

The atmosphere is laid back, the school is quite metropolitan with kids from all over the world.. the key here is that its what you make of it.. you could buckle down and go apeshit with the studying if that's your thing.. but you can also actually have quite a decent, fun time like I did.

Look within your heart buddy. I know you can make the right choice. Good luck.

 
At 7:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated. I am also looking into Ross in teh carribean. I guess my main concern is placement into a residency after I graduate. I still have a few years left to decided so I'm checking out my options for now.

Thanks again

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home